Sheet Pan chicken
This is a New York Times recipe that I made once before, and decided to make it again. The ease of preparing it and the fact that you can toss veggies in the oven alongside the chicken makes this a perfect weeknight meal for me. That is, as long as you have an hour to roast something in the oven 🙂
This time around, I skipped the chickpeas, which weren’t a big hit anyway. I pumped up the marinade a bit too. I first halved it to account for my small batch of drumsticks. Then, I spiced it up by adding:
- one tsp each of turmeric and cumin powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon each of Ginger, sweet paprika and smoked paprika powder.
Bake per instructions in a 425-450 degree oven. I served the chicken with a side of coconut roasted butternut squash (recipe follows).
Coconut roasted butternut squash:
- 1 lb cubed squash (I bought them cubed to same myself some time & effort)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp “curry powder” (I buy the S&B brand curry powder ( <– links to Amazon) for my easy peasy meals. Alternately, I grind up a cumin, cilantro, fenugreek, turmeric and black pepper blend as needed.)
- 2 tbsp grated unsweetened coconut (frozen section of stores)
Toss the above ingredients together with 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil or melted ghee or melted coconut oil. I don’t use olive oil since I cook at 450F.
Bake everything together in the top third of the oven for 50-55 mins, tossing the squash once. Finish by broiling for 1 minute.
Makes great leftovers too!