Cauliflower Brie casserole
When you are in the mood for cauliflower-brie soup, but soup doesn’t go that well with the meal you’ve planned, you improvise and make a casserole!
Nicely blanched veggies
Butter and onion magic
Keeping it GF with rice flour
Creamy cheesy goodness
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3-4 florets of broccoli (optional, if available)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 purple onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour (I used sweet rice “mochi” flour to make this recipe GF)
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard (I used a Green Chile mustard I had from New Mexico)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz brie, chopped into 1/3” cubes. I left most of the peel on except the sides of the brie disc.
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard powder
- pinch ancho or cayenne pepper powder
- “fistful” of shredded parmesan (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Chop the cauli & broccoli into small florets. Blanch in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain & set aside.
Meanwhile, dice the red bells & onions into small pieces.
Heat butter in a pan. Add onions and cook till translucent.
Add red bells and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes
Add the flour and mix well for another 1-2 minutes.
Add milk and stir frequently till it starts to thicken
Add the salt, pepper and mustard powder, as well as the dijon mustard. Mix well.
Turn off heat and add the cubes of brie to the sauce.
In an 9×9 dish, layer half the florets, then half sauce, rest of the florets, rest of the sauce. Mix gently.
Sprinkle parmesan on top.
Bake for 30 mins or until the top just starts to turn golden brown.
This makes a great side for a hearty meat entree, or a filling vegetarian lunch. We ate it with pork sirloin (coming up).