Vegan Asparagus Soup in IP
When cooking just for myself, I enjoy making soups because I don’t find them boring as leftovers and they’re typically pretty healthy to eat. I had a bunch and a half of asparagus and decided to make asparagus soup in the instant pot. The IP makes this process pretty easy since you can saute and then pressure cook your asparagus to get soft stems quickly. If you puree with an immersion blender, you really just have one big pot to clean. I like that.
I started out with allowing my garlic and onion to brown, then added ginger and the asparagus. If you wanted to take it a step further, you could grill the asparagus or brown on a large pan, which would contribute to more flavor.
While the soup was cooking in the pressure cooker, I used a small wok to fry a couple of reserved asparagus tips, walnut pieces, and finely chopped garlic. This was the topping for my soup.
Once the soup was cooked, I mixed in desiccated coconut powder which I use as a substitute for coconut milk. I pureed it, added a squeeze of lemon, checked for salt, and was ready to eat it!
If you’re not eating vegan, don’t hesitate to swirl in some cream. Cream is always yummy 🙂
When I had seconds (oh I definitely did), I shook some nori furikake on top for fun. Crunchy toppings are great with this soup.
- 1.5 bunch asparagus- stemmed, chopped to 1-2″ pcs, some tips reserved for topping.
- Half purple onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic. Two sliced for the soup, and one finely diced for topping.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water and 2 tbsp coconut milk powder (or 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup thick coconut milk)
- 1 small lemon
- Optional toppings: 2 tbsp walnuts, cream, furikake
- Heat the IP on Saute setting. Add your choice of oil/fat, and brown the garlic (2 sliced cloves) and onions.
- Switch to More Saute, and add the asparagus (minus the reserved tips), stirring frequently to avoid burning. Add ginger, turn off.
- Add the broth and water (but not coconut). Close and seal, and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan or wok, heat 2 tbsp oil and brown the reserved asparagus tips, garlic, and walnuts.
- When IP is done, release, add in the coconut powder or thick milk and the squeeze of lemon. Puree with an immersion blender. Salt to taste.
- Serve with toppings.