Almond Crusted Eggplant Parm
Grain-free eggplant parmesan. Or, as my son calls it, “Eggplant Pizza” 🙂
Eggplant slices sweating it out.
Almond meal seasoned with oregano, salt, and white pepper.
Ready to bake
The final product!
- One large eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Fresh herbs as desired – I used parsley from my garden
- 1/2 – 1 cup Rao’s marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- seasonings to taste (mustard, onion powder)
- kosher salt
- Slice eggplant into about 3/4 inch rounds. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and let them rest for at least 30 minutes. Then gently squeeze the slices and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare eggwash by beating the egg and pouring into a wide bowl.
- Mix almond meal with oregano, white pepper, 1/2 tsp salt. Add any other desired seasoning into almond meal.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter and pour into a 9×13 baking dish (I had to split mine into two smaller dishes). Swirl till evenly coated.
- Dip each slice of eggplant in eggwash, pat in almond meal (both sides) and arrange in a single layer in your dish.
- Bake 20 minutes. Flip. Bake 20 more minutes.
- Add marinara to each slice. Then sprinkle cheese on each slice.
- Bake again for 5 more minutes or till cheese starts turning golden brown.
- Remove, allow to cool, garnish with fresh herbs & serve.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.ruled.me/baked-eggplant-parmesan/