Kalua Pork in Instant Pot
A friend of mine shared her recipe for slow cooked Kalua Pork. Since I was on an instant pot spree, I researched IP Kalua Pork recipes to figure out how to take my recipe to the IP. I combined the original recipe (thanks Stephanie!) as well as the IP versions from Pressure Cooking Today and Rasamalaysia (one of my fav websites for Asian regional food) to arrive at mine.
- 2 lbs bone in pork butt
- 1 tbsp Hawaiian salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Pat the pork butt with liquid smoke & Hawaiian salt on all sides
- Stab mercilessly with a skewer
- Brown on all sides
- Wrap in banana leaves & tie ( I cut my meat in two pieces to make it fit better)
- Add 1/2 cup water in IP
- Set pork on rack
- Cook under high pressure for 90 minutes
- Allow a 10 minute release
- Shred and serve as you please!
Note that while the pork shreds & falls off the bones beautifully, but is still a little chunky compared to if you were to slow cook for 6-8 hours.
2 lb pork on the pan, getting browned.
Wrapped into two pieces
After 90 minutes of pressure cooking
Sushi rice with Japanese black rice
Nicely shredded pork! This meal was delicious, and tasted much better than this picture of shredded pork looks ;-P