Easy Salmon, Leek, Sweet Potato Plate
I started a 14 day Detox diet this week, as a part of a program offered by my gym. It cuts out common allergens like cow dairy, soy, egg, gluten, corn, canned food, alcohol, iodine (from salt) and peanuts. At first sight, this sounds terrible. But once you start cooking, it’s not so hard! Last night I prepped salmon filets for the pan, with detox friendly sides. Recipes for the salmon, sweet potato, and leek follow.
Filets with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder rubbed on.
I let this sit a few hours in the fridge, then add herbs and sear in a pan, 5 minutes each side.
Fresh sliced avocados are always a hit
I tossed two sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker and cooked on high pressure for 30 mins, followed by a 10 min min release. Note that these were not mushy. We had to cut them with fork & knife to eat. I will cook them for 40 minutes next time.
The final side was caramelized leek. These take 20 minutes in all, so start them at least 10 mins before you start the salmon.
- 1 lb salmon filet
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper mill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp each rosemary & thyme leaves
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the salmon into 3 filets (or as many as desired)
- Rub the salt, pepper & garlic powder all over salmon
- Set in fridge for 2-6 hrs. Remove 30 mins before cooking
- Sprinkle thyme and rosemary leaves and gently pat in
- In a medium pan, heat 1 tsp ghee and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Once ghee is melted, swirl and place salmon skin side UP.
- After 5 mins, flip filets over and cook 5 more minutes skin down, till cooked through. Set aside on warm plate and eat immediately.
- Add 1.5 cups water to pressure cooker
- Wash sweet potatoes and set on steamer in pressure cooker
- Cover and cook on High pressure for 40 mins. Wait 10 minutes after done, and release pressure.
- Smash gently, then add a dollop of ghee and sprinkle kosher salt.
- Wash one leek, trimming root and dark green end
- Slit vertically leaving outer layers intact, and open layers to wash thoroughly.
- Set leek back into one piece, then slice into thin circles
- In a pan, add ghee and bring to medium heat
- Add whites of leek only, and cook 5 minutes till it starts to brown
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the sliced greens, salt to taste, and a sprinkling of parsley and thyme.
- Continue sauteeing for 10 minutes
- Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and lower heat 5 more minutes. Check for doneness and continue cooking if desired.