Turkey Keema with Cabbage Fried Rice
[This is part 2 of the Turkey Two Ways recipe.]
The evening after I made turkey keema patties, I was super achy from working out and getting a chiropractic adjustment, so I wasn’t looking forward to the tow hour cooking ritual I had planned. Instead, I decided to use the keema mix I made patties with, and make a real keema-matar (mince with peas) out of it.
I fried the keema mix, then added leftover potatoes and a whole cup of peas to it. I added some more spices, and let them simmer with a cup of water, resulting in a delicious keema. Wanting to have some more veggies in this meal, but staying true to my Detox eating plan, I made a vegetable fried rice with cabbage. The pairing worked really well, and nobody could tell this was a 30 minute meal!
Pre-prepared keema mix getting browned
Added some leftover boiled potatoes & a cup of green peas
Prepping cabbage rice- rice toasted opaque & cabbage added to pan
An excellent dinner indeed!
Keema Mattar (meaning minced meat & peas) with Turkey
- Keema mix of minced turkey, green bells, onions, ginger & spices from Turkey Patties. Contained 3/4 lb of meat.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds – 1 to season oil, 1 to grind down
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan.
- When med-hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and an optional dry red chilli. Allow seeds to brown.
- Add the keema mix. If preparing fresh, follow the recipe for keema mix in the keema patties post, but opt to caramelize the onions separately rather than adding raw to keema mix.
- Meanwhile, grind 2 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds in a spice grinder. Add to your meat mix. If cooking from scratch, you can add this when you brown the onions.
- Add ginger & garlic paste. Again, this would be added while browning onions.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup water, scraping and deglazing the pan by moving the meat aside.
- Add 1 bay leaf, cover, and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes till flavors are well blended. Taste for salt & serve with fried rice.
Cabbage Fried Rice
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 onion, coarsely grated or med-finely diced
- 2 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 large cabbage, chopped small
- 3/4 tsp salt
- water, as required by your cooker
- Heat a pan to med-hi heat, and add ghee to it.
- When melted, add the tsp of cumin seeds and allow to toast till fragrant
- Add the onions, peppercorns & cloves, and fry till onions brown.
- Add the rice and continue to stir, allowing rice to become opaque
- Add cabbage, and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pan to the container of your rice cooker.
- Add salt, mixing gently.
- For a traditional cooker, I recommend 1 3/4 cup water to cook this. For the IP, I would assume you only need 1 cup, cooking pot-int-pot, with 2 cups on the outside.
- Fluff lightly with fork when done.