Date and almond energy balls
Since starting my detox diet, I have been on the hunt for a good snack that gave me a boost of energy. I love the little bite sized protein bar snacks for ease of use, and went on a hunt for the right recipe. I came across this one, and tried it, with splendid results:
I made only 1/4 of the recipe the first time.
Ground up almonds
After processing with coconut oil & dates – they were a tad oily because I didn’t measure properly (oil was too solid).
After rolling in raw cocoa & raw shredded coconut
YUM! The quarter recipe made 10 balls, and I typically ate about 3 at a time.
Then I decided to take it a step further, weigh my ingredients and cut back the dates just a bit.
Date, Almond, Pistachio Balls
- 80g raw almonds
- 40g raw pistachio meat (weight without shell)
- 100g pitted dates (about 3/4 cups)- chop into small pieces
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- In a small food processor, grind the nuts together to mealy or finer consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue processing until the mixture starts to just come together. Feel it with you hand to see if you are able to shape it.
- Shape & roll into small balls about an inch in diameter.
- Optional: Roll the balls in raw cocoa and/or unsweetened shredded coconut.
- I reduced the amount of dates, and increased vanilla for this recipe. I found that I had *just* enough to roll them, but enough is good enough. They were delicious- even my son loves them, as long as I don’t roll them in bitter cocoa!
Date/Almond/Pistachio balls in the raw
Half the batch rolled in cocoa+coco
Now that I have weight on the nut meats, I plan to make these often and stock them in my fridge. What a great snack for post-workout, or just the 3pm snacksies!