Mexican meal Part 2: Carnitas x Pibil Pork in IP
I love the carnitas recipe I’ve been making, but I wanted something slightly different to serve with rice. I read up a few puerco pibil recipes, and settled on this delicious hybrid between citrusy carnitas and pibil.
Despite having all the ingredients to make my own spice paste, I chose to go the route of store bought achiote paste. [Have I mentioned I can be lazy?] Since I was using citrusy carnitas as my base recipe, it was easy to replace half the orange juice with grapefruit juice. I reduced the lime recommended in pibil, and finished the dish with a few splashes of white vinegar, inspired by the Serious Eats version of smoked pibil.
This dish made a wonderful main course, served with fajita spiced veggies (red & orange bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, snow peas) and Spanish Rice made in the IP.
- 3 lbs boneless pork butt
- 2-3 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 1 tbsp achiote paste, crumbled
- Half an orange- 1 tbsp zest and juice of half orange
- Half a grapefuit- juice only
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 medium purple onion, quartered
- 3 large cloves garlic – crushed
- Dash of red pepper flakes, if desired
- 3-4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Chop the pork into cubes, removing only any massive fat lumps and leaving the rest in place. Put all the pieces in your IP.
- Mix together the salt, cumin, oregano and achiote paste. Sprinkle over the pork and rub thoroughly.
- Add the orange zest, and juice of half orange, half grapefruit and the 2 tbsp lime juice.
- Add in the onions, garlic and option pepper flakes.
- Mix roughly with your hand
- Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. Natural release.
- Skim as much fat as possible. Mix the liquid and drain out about half of it.
- Pull the pork apart and add the white vinegar. Add any additional salt to taste. Mix well and serve.
- I tend to get rid of the extra liquid, but it can be made into a sauce for another meal if you like.
The flavor of this dish was so complex and pleasing, I may never make regular carnitas or pibil again!