Smoky-Sweet Brussels Sprouts in IP
While I love oven-roasted Brussels, this is a quick & easy dish, and comes out delicious. It is also perfect for my son who likes to eat Brussels Sprouts if they aren’t crisp (usually works out okay though- I get the crispy roasted bits, and he gets the softer ones 🙂 ). To make this dish vegetarian, omit the bacon, double the nuts, and adjust the salt on the topping to make up for the missing salty pig.
Brussels and golden raisins ready to be pressure cooked.
Topping with seasoned bacon & walnuts
Veggies out of the Instant Pot
So good with the crunchy topping
We ate it with seared cod
I’ll ask my husband to post the recipe for his cod. Stay tuned!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4-1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup walnuts (I used about 10 walnut halves)
- Small dab (1/2 tbsp) unsalted butter
- kosher salt to taste
- Wash & rinse the sprouts. Cut the stems and remove outer leaves. Then cut the sprouts in half lengthwise.
- Add them to the IP’s inner pot, sprinkling with 1 tsp kosher salt.
- Mix 1/4 cup water and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (depending on intensity of smokiness desired: mild or medium). Add to the pot. Toss in the golden raisins & mix.
- Pressure cook with High Pressure for 4 minutes. If you have a bluetooth app, I like to set it to heat with 75% intensity to reduce chances of burning when there is so little liquid.
- While the veggie cooks, chop the bacon & walnuts into small pieces.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add the bacon. As it starts to sizzle & brown, add the walnuts and continue to cook till walnuts are well toasted. Add the paprika & brown sugar. Mix until sugar is melted & the bacon & walnut bits are well coated. Transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper. Allow to cool.
- Once veggies are done, do a quick release of pressure. Switch the IP to Sauté. Add the honey, coconut aminos, and butter. Sauté until the extra liquid vaporizes. Turn IP off.
- Transfer veggies to a bowl and add the walnut-bacon topping. Serve hot.