Salmon, Zucchini, and Pickle Dinner
Its hot like a furnace in Texas, and I hardly ever feel like cooking these days. I’ve been trying to minimize kitchen time, and this meal was perfect in its simplicity.
I dressed two filets of salmon up with a simple coriander rub, similar to my previous Coriander Rubbed Chicken, but with slight variations. The fish was seared with a lid on to lock moisture in. It came out juicy and flaky, just like it should!
I also scored a jar of Basia’s Pickles, which manages to be sweet, tart, and dill-y all at the same time. I knew it would pair well with this dinner.
Just look at that stuff!
I cooked up yellow squash and zucchini in the Instant Pot since my kid likes them well cooked and soft. I tossed them with cajun seasoning & 2 tablespoons of my onion-tomato paste, and pressure cooked them for 5 minutes.
The three things complemented each other perfectly, not to mention my gorgeous plate that I painted myself! 🙂
Coriander Rubbed Salmon:
- 0.8 lbs salmon filet (2 equal pcs of 0.4 lbs each)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- pinch of aniseeed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic paste, or 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Coarsely grind together the four seeds (coriander, pepper, sesame, anise).
- Wash and pat dry the filets. Rub all over with avocado oil, then garlic paste.
- Rub in the turmeric, then pat on the salt & spices on all non-skin sides.
- Sear to taste till internal temp of 145 deg is reached.
- 2 tbsp onion-tomato paste (This recipe from My Heart Beets, which forms the base for a lot of Indian food)
- 2 yellow squash
- 2 zucchini
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning (mine is salty and I use it as a seasoned salt)
- 1/2 cup water
- Dice the veggies (I quarter lengthwise & then make thick slices), then toss all ingredients into Instant Pot and mix thoroughly.
- Set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Natural release. Its ready to serve!
Head over to the website. Find a local retailer, or order online. Easy peasy.